Indiana man killed amongst marines in assault on Kabul | Indiana Information

A Logansport High School graduate was one of 13 US soldiers killed in the fatal suicide attack on Kabul airport on Thursday.

Corporal Humberto Sanchez, 22, was stationed in Afghanistan helping with the exit from the airport when a suicide bomber carried a heavier-than-usual load of around 25 pounds of explosives loaded with shrapnel into the departure area. At least 169 Afghans were also killed in the explosion.

The Pentagon said Friday that there was only one suicide bomber – at the airport gate – not two as US officials originally said.

Sanchez graduated from Logansport High School in 2017. He also attended Columbia and Landis Elementary Schools.

“Like many others, I was heartbroken over the recent loss of the 13 US soldiers murdered in the terrorist attacks against our evacuation efforts in Kabul, Afghanistan,” Logansport Mayor Chris Martin said in a statement on Facebook. “It is even more heartbreaking to hear the today that one of the people killed came from here in Logansport, Indiana.

“This young man was not even 30 years old and had his whole life ahead of him. Any plans he might have had for his post-military life were sacrificed because he put his heart and soul into putting himself in danger in order to protect the lives of others. “

“We are forever indebted to the soldiers and soldiers who risk everything to protect others. We will never forget the names of those who made the ultimate sacrifice, ”Logansport Community School Corporation said in a Facebook post. “Our deepest condolences go to the Sanchez family and the entire Cass County community.”

Logansport High School principal Matt Jones tweeted, “Tough day, Berry Nation – I’ve been thinking a lot about Logansport Berry and Marine Humberto Sanchez and his family in 2017. Thank you for serving our country in uniform and willingness to make sacrifices. “

Thursday’s bombing, attributed to Afghanistan’s offshoot of the Islamic Group, an enemy of the Taliban and the West, was one of the deadliest attacks the country has ever seen. The US said it was the deadliest day for American troops in Afghanistan since 2011.

Details of the American dead – 11 Marines, one Marine and one Army soldier – began to surface on Friday before the Pentagon released their names. Including a young marine and father-to-be from Wyoming, who was on his first business trip to Afghanistan. Sanchez’s death has been confirmed by two family members.

“We will respond with force and precision at our time in the place of our choice,” said President Joe Biden Thursday evening. “These IS terrorists will not win. We’re going to save the Americans; we will get our Afghan allies out and our mission will continue. America is not intimidated. “

In Washington, US commanders briefed Biden on the development of plans to repel Islamic and redeem the president’s vow to the attackers to “hunt you down and make you pay”.

Biden described the US efforts to evacuate Americans, Afghan allies and other people most threatened by the Taliban as a “worthy mission”.

“And we will complete the mission,” he said.

The UN Security Council described the attacks on fleeing civilians and those who wanted to help them as “particularly horrific”.

The Taliban regained control of Afghanistan two decades after fighting in a US-led invasion after the 11th attacks. Their return to power terrified many Afghans who fled the country’s American withdrawal.

More than 100,000 people have been safely evacuated via Kabul airport, according to the US, but thousands more are fighting to escape with one of the largest airlifts in history.

The White announced Friday afternoon that US military planes had flown 2,100 evacuees in the past 24 hours. Another 2,100 people left on other coalition flights.

The number was a fraction of the 12,700 people carried by U.S. military aircraft in one day earlier in the week when the now two-week-old airlift not only reached but exceeded its designated capacity for a few days.

Other European allies and other nations ended their airlifts on Friday, in part to give the US time to complete its own operations.

Comments are closed.