Indiana man charged with homicide four after stimulus dispute
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) – An Indianapolis man was formally charged on Thursday with the murder of three adults and a child he allegedly shot after he and a former girlfriend argued over wanting part of her COVID-19 aid money.
Malik Halfacre, 25, faces four murders, each with an attempted murder, armed robbery, car theft and other charges in the murders on Saturday, Marion County Attorney Ryan Mears said.
Halfacre allegedly shot a woman, the mother of his 6-month-old daughter who seriously injured her, and fatally shot four of her relatives in a house where officials found the bodies of Anthony Johnson, 35, Dequan Moore, 23, Tomeeka Brown , 44, and 7-year-old Eve Moore.
The ex-girlfriend told police that Eve Moore – identified as “EM” in court documents – was her daughter, Tomeeka Brown was her mother, Dequan Moore was her brother, and Anthony Johnson was her cousin, according to a possible affidavit.
Mears said that for him, as the father of two young children, the hardest part for him as the father of two young children is killing Eve Moore.
“I think everyone asks the same question about the 7 year old: why? It had nothing to do with the stimulus check, it had nothing to do with the money, and she lost her life. And if that doesn’t break your heart, I don’t know what will, ”he said at a press conference.
WARNING: The following video contains graphic content.
Mears said the night of the Halfacre murders allegedly had “a very lively discussion about stimulus money” with a woman his office allegedly had been in a relationship with before he left the house and then returned with a gun and armed The argument was resumed.
“In the course of this dispute, which continued over stimulus money, it is alleged that he began removing money from our victim’s purse, and in the course of that dispute there was an argument that resulted in people being shot,” said Mears.
According to a possible affidavit, Halfacre, who was arrested Sunday after being found in the attic of a friend’s house, told officials that after he shot everyone in the house, he took the money, the surviving woman’s handbag and Took her car and left the scene with her 6 month old daughter.
The baby was later found unharmed with Halfacre’s sister, according to an affidavit.
Halfacre appeared for an initial hearing Thursday morning where a judge briefed him on his rights, ordered him to be detained and appointed a public defender for him.
Halfacre’s attorney Laura Pitts said she made no comment on Thursday’s behalf on her client’s behalf.
At the time of the shootings, Halfacre was the subject of a restraining order that, according to court documents, prevented him from contacting his ex-girlfriend or visiting the house where the shootings took place.
After the shooting, Halfacre’s ex-girlfriend said she noticed she had been shot and, fearing that he would kill her, she said to him, “Take me to the hospital,” and they both left the house, it says the affidavit. When Halfacre re-entered the house, she said she escaped the scene and found someone to call 911.
After police arrived, she was taken to a hospital in critical condition, where Mears said she told police about the shootings and that there were other victims at the home.
“We were very lucky that she escaped and survived what happened,” he said.
Mears said the case is eligible for the death penalty because there were multiple victims, a robbery allegedly occurred and a child was killed. He said his office would meet with the victims’ relatives to discuss this option before deciding whether to pursue the death penalty.
This story has been updated to correct prosecutors saying the woman who survived the shooting was a former girlfriend of the suspect and not a current girlfriend.
Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.